Saturday, August 6, 2011

Big Day Tomorrow

I'm so excited. Tomorrow is the day that I start hand feeding the new baby parrotlets. There are three of them. These are my first parrotlet babies - although I've had a pet parrotlet for eight years. They look very different to the lovebird and budgie babies...almost like little aliens =o]

It's time to get everything ready...scale to weigh them with, heating pad,syringes,bedding,brooder,paper towels galore and fomula. I've been making my own formula for recent clutches and it's been working very well. We had no slow crop whatsoever. This new formula is very easily digested which is much better for the birds. There's nothing sitting in the crop going sour. It means that the feedings have to be more frequent -especially at first. That's OK because I enjoy handfeeding baby birds very much. It also means that I have to be organized and think ahead as I cannot leave the house for more than three hours at a time for the first few weeks of handfeeding. Once you start the process you have to be commited to seeing it through. There cannot be any late or missed feedings . The little guys are quite helpless and dependant. Once the weening process begins then the formula feeding can get stretched a little further apart and some solids can be left in the brooder. It's a very satisfying experience watching the progress and finally having a full grown fully weaned baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment