Tuesday, November 23, 2010

November babies two-three weeks old

I just wanted to say that for anyone who buys one of these November babies and would rather not have them come home until after Christmas - I will be happy to hang onto them until then. I have over thirty birds here who need feeding and care every day...even Christmas. It is my pleasure to do so. I have a routine. It is not a rigid routine but I stick loosely to a feeding schedule.
A word of advise on that: Though a bird needs feeding and water changes and playing with every day, it is best not to do these things at exactly the same time every day. Here's why - if your bird is used to getting these things at the same time always and - for whatever reason you will not be able to provide that suddenly- it will be very upsetting to the bird. Also if your bird is used to having the exact same dishes put in the exact same place in the cage always a) that's pretty boring for your little buddy and b) the dish breaks or wears out or whatever and your fid (feathere kid) has never eaten out of anything but his"red" dish (or yellow or ceramic or whatever) then you may have a problem. Change it up. Move dishes around and use different ones if possible. Let the bird go foraging. In nature they must do this. I have collected many little ceramic dishes from kitchen stores,dollar store, China Town etc. They are sold as sauce dishes and are all very different. My finches like eating out of flat dishes so sometimes I use little ceramic thingies that are meant to put used tea bags on sit or spoon holders. You can use plastic or metal too. I just like the pretty little ceramic dishes. They clean up very nicely too which is sometimes more difficult with plastic. I have lots of spares so I can just collect everyone's dish and replace it with a clean full one. Then I throw all the used ones in the dish washer.

No comments:

Post a Comment