Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Splendids



These little beauties are my Scarlet Chested or Splendid Parakeets. They are Australian Grass Parakeets. They are a lot more layed back than lovebirds and budgies.

I'd seen a few of these for sale on the internet - but nothing in my city. Then last fall while attending a local bird show I spotted these little gems. They were simply dazzling. I watched them for a while ( while my husband made a trip out to the bank machine -as I already spent the cash that I had with me). I chose this male and the seller pointed out the female. There were some turquoisines in the cage too and they - especially the females- are quite similar. My female is a redbellied mutation. I was a little worried at first that I had come home with two males, but no I have since found the information I need to confirm that she is a girl.

Since they are Ausralians I have named them Billy and Matilda . They have their nest box up as of today as I have have noticed that they have finally after seven months - become "friendly".

No comments:

Post a Comment